It's just over two weeks until the AGM, and it's all coming together splendidly! Please read the important notes below.
Deadline for Registration Changes and Refunds
September 30 is the last day to receive a refund for AGM activity tickets or overall registration fees. On this date we will also stop adding any ticketed activities to registrations so that we may prepare registration materials, but we expect to have extra tickets for most tours and workshops available for purchase at check-in in Chicago. Please contact the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help adding or dropping activities.
- Immediately after the September 30 closing date, we'll process refunds and send payment reminders. If you receive a reminder, please pay promptly —all accounts must be settled by October 5.
- Companion and full Attendee registration is still available—if you are thinking of bringing someone along with you, it's not too late!
- Our U.K. presenters will unfortunately not be allowed to travel into the U.S. at this time. Keynote speaker Gillian Dow and Plenary speaker Desmond Shawe-Taylor will give their lectures on video, with live audio Q&A afterwards.
- We have had to make a few more adjustments to the breakout session schedule. The final version will be posted on the JASNA website shortly. You do not need to change your registration for breakouts; simply attend the session of your choice.
- The Art Institute event has been restructured. The Art Institute currently cannot release group tickets, so those purchased through JASNA are being refunded. You can buy your own ticket (at a slightly reduced price) and visit during the original time for the event, 4:00 to 6:00 pm on Thursday (or come earlier, if you wish). The eminent scholars Ellenor Alcorn, Chair and Eloise W. Martin, Curator of European Decorative Arts, and Emerson Bowyer, Searle Curator of European Painting & Sculpture, will be stationed in the 18th and early 19th century galleries from 4:00 to 6:00 pm on Thursday to answer your questions about the collections.
We are repeating our policy statement for the benefit of new registrants and anyone who has missed it:
- Vaccinations are required, with no exceptions or alternatives, and will be verified at check-in at the AGM. An image of your complete vaccine certificate on paper or stored on your phone is acceptable, if you do not want to bring your original certificate.
- Masks are required in all JASNA-sponsored activities and spaces. If you have questions about how specific activities or situations will be handled, please email Linda Slothouber, JASNA VP for Conferences, at email@example.com. There is currently a mandatory mask order for all indoor spaces in Illinois and the City of Chicago. Some museums, theatres, restaurants, and the like are also requiring vaccination certificates.
- Prior to the spread of the Delta variant, we had allowed unvaccinated people to register and present a negative test result, but that has changed. Unvaccinated registrants have had their registrations cancelled and their fees refunded. Again, proof of vaccination is required for all registrants.
- If you're looking to share a ride to/from the airport or a hotel room, try Hootboard, a private social media bulletin board that is free and easy to use. Email Jeannette Watts at AGM21Hootboard@gmail.com to request an invitation to the board, where you'll be able to peruse "Hoots" for Rideshares and Roommates or post your own, and communicate with other attendees. Please note that JASNA is not responsible for the outcome of your sharing arrangement.
- If you're driving your own vehicle, Spothero can help you find and book a parking space at a cost far below the Marriott's parking rate. (The link has the hotel address pre-loaded; be sure to put in your own dates and times.)
Virtual AGM Video Package
- We'll be recording selected speakers in Chicago for inclusion in a Virtual AGM video package, to be made available after the in-person AGM. Attendees will receive a discount. (Details to come.) As a special treat for both those who participate and JASNA members who can't come to Chicago, on Saturday night, a Red Carpet Promenade of attendees and companions in Regency dress will be recorded.
- Registered Attendees at the in-person AGM will receive registration for the Virtual AGM free!
We're Looking Forward To:
- Meeting first-timers: If this will be your first AGM, watch for a separate email in about a week with helpful tips.
- Socializing face to face: There will be small tables in the foyer and a conversation lounge open on Friday and Saturday to help you catch up with friends, or meet new ones.
- Dining out (or in): Our final Update will include a list of restaurants with recommendations from Chicago JASNA members. In the meantime, check out iconic local favorites here, or fine-dining options here. Ordering in is an appealing option too, now that restaurants have perfected their delivery/takeout game—see the Chicago Tribune's takeout picks here (tip: put the hotel address, 540 N. Michigan Ave., in the map window to see the closest ones).
- Getting physical: If you've had too much screen time lately, try the Fun Run on the Magnificent Mile (with 1 mile and 5k options), exercise elegantly at the Regency Ball, take a walking tour, or just get out and about on your own—"I assure you it is very refreshing after sitting so long in one attitude"!
"Jane Austen in the Arts" is just two weeks away! If you have questions or need help with registration changes, please contact us at the addresses below.
For AGM program questions: Kristen Miller Zohn and Jennifer Swenson firstname.lastname@example.org
For registration and payment changes/questions: Debbie Duncan email@example.com
For hotel issues, COVID, and AGM policy questions: Linda Slothouber firstname.lastname@example.org