Calling all up-and-coming filmmakers and Austen fans!
Are you an aspiring Ava DuVernay or Steven Spielberg? Or a young movie maker who is an Austen fan? We invite all North American amateur filmmakers under the age of 30 to compete in this annual creative contest. Membership in JASNA is not required to participate, and it's free to enter. We sponsor the Young Filmmakers Contest to encourage the study, interpretation, and appreciation of Jane Austen among new generations.
First-, second-, and third-place winners receive cash awards and one year of JASNA membership. Finalist entries are judged by some of the preeminent names in contemporary film, TV and literature, and a summary of their comments is one of the most valuable features of the contest! Past judges have included Amy Heckerling, Robin Swicord, Gurinder Chadha, Ken Turan, Crystal Clarke, Janet Lin, Ashley Clements, and Aydrea Walden.
You can watch the finalists’ videos on YouTube. For an overview of the contest, check out our "highlights reel" below.
Young Filmmakers Contest Overview and Highlights
Closed captioning in English can be turned on and off with the CC icon in the control panel.
2023 Contest Guidelines
The 2023 Young Filmmakers Contest is now open, and the deadline for submissions is August 28, 2023.
Create a short original film (five minutes or less) on either of the following:
- Pride and Prejudice: the novel’s plot, characters, themes, settings, or adaptations
- A general theme inspired by Jane Austen and/or her world, novels, juvenilia, letters, characters, themes, or adaptations.
Past entries have included animated films, documentaries, modernizations, and tributes to Austen’s genius. They’ve ranged from heart-tugging stories to hilarious adventures, and everything in between. All you need is your imagination and a smartphone!
How to Enter
Three winners are selected each year and receive the following recognition:
- Cash awards of $300 for first place, $200 for second place and $100 for third place
- One year of membership in the Jane Austen Society of North America
- Winning films will be premiered for attendees at JASNA's Annual General Meeting and will be available for viewing by a global audience on this website and through JASNA's video-sharing platforms and social media.
Please email the Young Filmmakers Contest at email@example.com.