We are excited to announce that JASNA’s new and improved website is live! We cut over to the new site in a “soft launch” earlier in the week so that we could monitor the server’s performance with normal traffic. and we feel the site is ready for visitors and an official launch.
The first thing you will notice when you visit is the fresh, contemporary design created by the digital marketing agency hired to help revamp the site. The modern look evokes our interest Austen’s era with colors drawn from a Robert Adam ceiling and design touches reminiscent of antique books.
But the redesign of the 1,800-page website is more than a facelift. Other major changes include:
- A responsive website design that adjusts to the screen size of the device you are using: from desktop to tablets to smart phone.
- A home page design that allows us to spotlight seasonal programs, upcoming events, and conferences.
- A new site structure and main menu designed to guide you to the correct area of the site before your first click. Instead of a dropdown menu, the main navigation menu provides short descriptions of the content available in each section. Left-hand navigation will guide you on sub-pages.
- “Breadcrumb” trails, to help you find your way back as far as the home page. Clicking on the JASNA logo will always take a reader to the home page.
- Quick links at the top of every page make it easy to find the Search feature, the Regional Groups page, the JASNA Member Portal, and the Contact page.
- All articles and essays available to the public are now centrally located in the Publications section of the site, including the winning entries from the Essay Contest.
- Filtered Search Tool. In addition to the site-wide keyword Search feature available in the top left corner of every page, you can now search for articles and essays by subject using the new Filtered Search tool on the publication landing pages.
TIP: The Related Works filter terms can be used to limit your topic search to articles related to a specific work. For example, if you would like to read about film or stage versions of Emma, choose the Topic filter “Adaptations” and the Related Works filter “Emma.” If you select more than one Topic filter, the results will include all articles with one tag and all articles with the other tag. The topic tags cannot be used to limit search results.
- A new section on Jane Austen’s Works, with pages for each novel, with discussion guides and links to other related materials (eve including her other works as well); a new page spotlighting the churches with ties to Jane Austen’s family; an Event Calendar listing significant JASNA Regional events and selected non-JASNA events
- The JASNA Post, a communications center where we will publish announcements, special news stories, and observations.
We invite you to explore the new site to see what’s new and even leave a tribute to Jane Austen in our online Memorial Book, created to mark the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen’s death, July 18, 1817. The virtual book is spotlighted in a promotional block on the home page. Share a favorite quote or tell us what Jane Austen means to you and why you enjoy her novels!
Work on the new website doesn’t end with this launch. If you have feedback or suggestions, please send them to email@example.com. We will continue to add photos and content, take advantage of new capabilities, tag JASNA’s 1,600+ articles and essays for the filtered search tool, and convert them to the new format. It’s an exciting time for JASNA!